This is Music History Today for August 1. On this date:
* In 1981, MTV began broadcasting and changed music forever. The first video was, famously, the Buggles with Video Killed the Radio Star.
*In 1987, MTV Europe began broadcasting. Their first video was Dire Straits with Money For Nothing.
* In 1971, the Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour premiered on CBS.
* In 1971, George Harrison held his charity Concert for Bangladesh.
* In 1986, Jerry Garcia was released from the hospital after being in a coma for 3 weeks.
* In 1988, the Seattle band Mudhoney released their first single.
* In 2006, a 30 year old man was beaten to death while in the mosh pit at a Deftones concert.
* In 1985, Tom Waits released his innovative album Rain Dogs.
* In 1994, Michael Jackson announced that he had married Lisa Marie Presley.
Born on this date:
* Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
* composer of the Star Spangled Banner Francis Scott Key
* Ashley Angel of O-Town
* Adam Duritz of Counting Crows
* rapper Coolio
* rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy
* Suzi Gardner of L7
* Joe Elliot of Def Leppard
* singer Michael Penn
* bluesman Robert Cray
* Tommy Bolin of Deep Purple
* Tim Bachman of Bachman Turner Overdrive
* Rick Anderson of the Tubes
* Boz Burrell of Bad Company
* Rick Coonce of the Grass Roots