This is Music History Today for August 29. On this date:
* In 1976, the Rock Against Racism movement was started, in response to comments that Eric Clapton said that people took as racist.
* In 2005, Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans. Among the dead was Barry Cowsill of the Cowsills, who drowned.
* In 1958, George Harrison join the Beatles, then called the Quarrymen.
* In 1966, the Beatles performed in concert for the last time. It was in Candlestick Park in San Francisco.
* In 1977, Iggy Pop released Lust For Life.
* In 1994, Oasis released their debut album.
Born on this date:
* Michael Jackson
* Jazz icon Charlie “Bird” Parker
* Dinah Washington
* bassist Me’Shell NdegeOcello
* singer / actress Lea Michelle
* David Desrosiers of Simple Plan
* Kyle Cook of Matchbox Twenty
* Rick Downey of Blue Oyster Cult
* Chris Copping of Procol Harum
* Dick Halligan of Blood, Sweat, & Tears
* Sterling Morrison of the Velvet Undergroung
* country singer Jimmy C. Newman